Christian Formation for Children
We welcome all children, beginning in 3K, into our Christian Formation programming. Christian Formation is a wonderful way to introduce your child to the principles of Catholicism, and is a necessary component in order to receive sacraments.
Christian Formation classes for 3K, 4K & 5K are offered on Sundays from 8:15-9:15am. Classes for 1st-5th grade are offered on Sundays from 9:30-10:30 am and Tuesdays from 6-7pm. Classes are held from September through April.
What will my child learn in Christian Formation? CLICK HERE to view grade level expectations given by the Archdiocese.
Did your child miss Christian Formation this week? Here are details for at-home activities:
2nd Graders – Please complete the following lesson from your God’s Gift Eucharist textbook:
- 1/20 or 1/22 – Ch 1
- 1/27 or 1/29 – Ch 2
- 2/3 or 2/5 – Ch 3
- 2/10 or 2/12 – Ch 4
- 2/17 or 2/19 – Ch 5
- 2/24 or 2/26 – Ch 6
- 3/3 or 3/5 Lenten lesson in class
- 3/10 or 3/12 – Ch 7
- 3/17 or 3/19 – Ch 8
- 4/7 or 4/9 – Eucharist review in class
- 4/4 or 4/16 – Holy Week & Easter lesson in class
- Show your completed lesson to your catechist or Mrs. Kebis in the CF office.
3k-4k-5k-1st-3rd-4th-5th Graders** – Choose one of the following activities to do at home this week with your family…
- Start the new year off by blessing your home. CLICK HERE for directions.
- Celebrate the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity – Christians throughout the world join in a special week of prayer from Jan 18 – Jan 25. Try out this Eight-Day Prayer Challenge just for families. This is a great idea at any time of the year!
- On Jan 13th we celebrate the Baptism of the Lord. Share pictures and keepsakes of your child’s baptism with them. Tell them about the events & emotions of that day.
- Learn a little about St. Valentine. Watch this cartoon video on YouTube https://youtu.be/HGx7q4O6w2w
- Choose your favorite heart-themed activity (crafting or baking) and decorate them with words that remind is us of God’s love for everyone.
**There is no need to turn in anything for these activities, but you are always welcome to share what you did with Mrs. Kebis.
Sacramental Preparation: First Reconciliation & First Eucharist
Children will prepare for these sacraments through participation in weekly Christian Formation classes, as well as two parent/child retreats. There is a sacramental fee of $55 that covers the cost of textbooks & other materials, as well as the two retreats.
Important Sacrament Dates 2018-19:
Eucharist Parent Meetings will be held in the Community Center
- Jan 27th at 9:30 a.m.
- Jan 29th at 6 p.m.
Eucharist Parent/Child Retreats will meet in the Community Center
- March 15th from 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- March 16th from 9 a.m.-noon.
First Eucharist will be celebrated**
- April 27th at 4:30 mass
- April 28th at the 8:15, 10:30 and 5:30 pm masses
- May 4th at the 4:30 mass
**Date selections will be made available at the parent meetings
Preparation for First Reconciliation will begin again in the fall of 2019 for those entering 2nd grade.
Break Open the Word
Children age 3 through 5th grade are invited to join us for an age-appropriate presentation of the Liturgy of the Word . Families begins Mass together and the children are called forward after the opening prayer. BOW uses readings from the Children’s Lectionary, which is simplified to be more understandable, and includes conversation and related activities to engage the children with the Gospel message. All children are welcome and no registration is needed!
BOW is offered during the Sunday 8:15 and 10:30 mass times at intervals throughout the year. Join us again starting on March 10th as we enter the season of Lent!