Christian Formation for Children
We welcome all children, beginning in 3K, into our Christian Formation programming. Christian Formation is a wonderful way to introduce your child to the principles of Catholicism, and is a necessary component in order to receive sacraments.
Christian Formation classes for 3K, 4K & 5K are offered on Sundays from 8:15-9:15am. Classes for 1st-5th grade are offered on Sundays from 9:30-10:30 am and Tuesdays from 6-7pm. Classes are held from September through April.
What will my child learn in Christian Formation? CLICK HERE to view grade level expectations given by the Archdiocese.
Did your child miss Christian Formation this week? Here are details for at-home activities for the month of October:
2nd Graders – Please complete the following lesson from your God’s Gift Reconciliation textbook:
- 9/30 or 10/2 – Ch 1
- 10/7 or 10/9 – Ch 2
- 10/14 or 10/16 –
- 10/21 or 10/23 – Ch 3
- 10/28 or 10/30 – Ch 4
- Show your completed lesson to your catechist or Mrs. Kebis in the CF office.
3k-4k-5k-1st-3rd-4th-5th Graders** – Choose one of the following activities to do at home this week with your family…
- October is the month of the Holy Rosary. Pray the rosary together as a family. Click here for some simple directions. If you need a rosary, please feel free to stop in the CF office and ask for one.
- Celebrate the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi on Oct 4th by doing something nice for animals. You could make homemade bird feeders and hang them outside, bake dog or cat treats for your family pet or go shopping for items to donate to HAWS (click HERE for a list of items).
- In honor of the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux on Oct 1st, spend a day doing little things for God & for others. Help rake leaves with a parent, share a favorite toy with your brother or sister, bake a treat and deliver it to a neighbor, spend a little extra time in prayer, clean up around your house. What else can you think of?
- Each day this week, read a story from the Gospel of Luke as a family. There are so many wonderful stories to read! We celebrate the feast of St. Luke on Oct 18th.
- Set aside some time for silence in your house this week, try 20 minutes each day. Turn off the electronics and use the time to pray, meditate or read.
**There is no need to turn in anything for these activities, but you are always welcome to share what you did with Mrs. Kebis.
Sacramental Preparation: First Reconciliation & First Eucharist
Children will prepare for these sacraments through participation in weekly Christian Formation classes, as well as two parent/child retreats. There is a sacramental fee of $55 that covers the cost of textbooks & other materials, as well as the two retreats.
Important Sacrament Dates 2018-19:
Reconciliation Parent Meetings
- Sept. 30th at 9:30 a.m.
- Oct. 2nd at 6 p.m.
Reconciliation Parent/Child Retreats
- Nov 2nd from 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Nov 3rd from 9 a.m.-noon.
- Nov 28th at 6 p.m.
- Nov 29th at 6 p.m.
**Date selections will be made in the fall.
Parent meetings for First Eucharist will be held on Jan 27th at 9:30 a.m. and Jan 29th at 6 p.m. Our parent/child retreat options will be March 15th from 5:30-8:30 p.m. and March 16th from 9 a.m.-noon. First Eucharist will be celebrated on April 27th & 28th and May 4th. Dates selections for First Eucharist dates will take place in early spring.
Break Open the Word
Children age 3 through 5th grade are invited to join us for an age-appropriate presentation of the Liturgy of the Word . Families begins Mass together and the children are called forward after the opening prayer. BOW uses readings from the Children’s Lectionary, which is simplified to be more understandable, and includes conversation and related activities to engage the children with the Gospel message.
BOW is offered during the Sunday 9:00 mass during the seasons of Advent & Lent, as well as the summer. All children are welcome and no registration is needed!